Wednesday 29 December 2010

a hidden kiss

Wendy: Heavens. – Hook!
Millicent: Hook?
Michael: Hook, whose eyes turn red as he guts you.
Millicent: Upon my soul, how children are educated nowadays.
Wendy: [Chuckles] – I’m afraid I am not learned at all, Aunt. But I do know a thing or two about pirates... My unfulfilled ambition is to write a great novel in three parts about my adventures.
Millicent: What adventures?
Wendy: I’ve yet to have them, but they will be perfectly thrilling.
Millicent: But, child, novelists are not highly thought of in good society. And there is nothing so difficult to marry as a novelist.
All: Marry? – Marry? Marry? – But, Aunt, Wendy is not yet 13.
Millicent: Walk toward me, dear, that I may appraise you.
Mr. Darling: Go on. Walk to your auntie. Stand up straight.
[Children giggling]
Millicent: Stop it! – Turn around.
Mr. Darling: Shh.
Millicent: Mm, yes. Oh, it’s quite as I expected.....Wendy possesses a woman’s chin. Have you not noticed? Observe her mouth.....There, hidden in the right-hand corner....is that a kiss?
[Mrs. Darling Gasps]
Mrs. Darling: A kiss? – Like Mother’s kiss.
Millicent: A hidden kiss.
Mrs. Darling: But what is it for?
Millicent: It is for the greatest adventure of all....They that find it…have slipped in and out of heaven.
Wendy: Find what?
Millicent: The one the kiss belongs to.
Mrs. Darling: My Wendy…a woman.
Millicent: Almost a woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails